||Updated Workshop Details
We are very excited to welcome you to the 16th North American Crane Workshop in Baraboo, Wisconsin, 23-26 October 2023. We are looking forward to a great program with more than 50 presentations and excellent social events! Register now if you haven’t already! For those of you planning travel, here’s the daily schedule:
Monday, 23 October: 6 PM evening reception, Balanced Rock Winery
Tuesday, 24 October: all day scientific session, Baraboo Arts Convention Center
Wednesday, 25 October: all day scientific session & banquet, Baraboo Arts Convention Center
Thursday, 26 October: all day field trip, Aldo Leopold Foundation and International Crane Foundation
We encourage attendees to arrive throughout the day on Monday in time to gather at our evening reception and then plan for departure on Friday.
- The NACW16 Program booklet (download here) has details of the scientific program, including timing of all talks and abstracts on 24 and 25 October at the Baraboo Arts Convention Center. Both days start promptly at 8am! Printed copies will not be available except at special request. Please have the PDF booklet readily available on your mobile device or laptop for your use throughout the workshop.
- Don’t forget to make your lodging reservations, and take advantage of the discounts we have arranged for.
- Local Transportation: If you are flying to Wisconsin, options from Madison to Baraboo are limited to car rentals. Flying to Milwaukee and driving from there is sometimes more cost effective and adds minimal time to travel. We have a voluntary rideshare networking list for those wishing to contain costs and reduce duplication for local transportation. Check it out, enter your info, and contact others with similar itineraries if desired.
- Please bring your own travel mug for coffee, tea, and water at our daily breaks.
- Things kick off with a pre-workshop gathering at Balanced Rock Winery in Baraboo on 23 October. Please come on your own by 6 PM for conversation, heavy apps and a libation of your choice.
- Presentation Uploads: Bring your presentation on a flash drive to upload to our conference laptop OR for those that work ahead, please upload Powerpoints here by 19 October.
- Silent Auction Items Wanted: Please consider donating items or experiences for this event – just about anything goes – the proceeds of which will help benefit student travel awards for future workshops. We will collect items throughout the events on Monday and Tuesday for our final bidding to be held at our Wednesday 25 October banquet. Credit cards will be accepted!
- Our banquet is scheduled for 6-9 PM, Wednesday, 25 October, at the Baraboo Arts Convention Center. We will have a break between our afternoon session and the start of the social hour for you to unwind.
- Be prepared to dress in layers and perhaps rain gear for our field trip day on Thursday, based on the 7d forecast. For details of the Field Trip Day, click HERE.